One of my favorite icings is flavored with coffee and a touch of chocolate. This versatile icing can compliment many different flavor variations. It may just become your go-to cupcake topping and/or cake filling! For this post, I’ve made Devil’s food cupcakes and was SHOCKED by how good this out of the box mix was! Let me know what you think.
The icing behind the Mocha cupcake!
- 1 cup water
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 pckg Duncan Hines Classic Devil's Food Cake Mix or if you have a few extra moments and want to make these from scratch, click here for a great chocolate cake recipe!
- 3 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1 cup softened butter
- 1 tsp cream or milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tbs espresso extract or to your liking
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Blend all ingredients for 30 seconds at low speed. Then beat at medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Fill each 2/3 the way up. Easily done with an ice-cream scoop. Bake at 350 for approximately 18 minutes or until a wooden skewer insert in the center comes out clean.
- Sift the sugar and add to a bowel along with he softened butter. Beat until desired consistency is reached, adding your milk or cream and vanilla while doing so.
- Add the espresso powder and cocoa if desired and beat until well mixed.
- To get these rose-like icing tops start at the center with a large star tipped head and wrk your way out in a circular motion.