Chicken piccata is the ultimate Italian comfort classic featuring a lemony white wine butter sauce drizzled on a crispy breaded chicken cutlet over a bed of pasta.
Most nights I cook dinner but like most of us, sometimes life gets in the way! You have to order in or get take out. My go-to dish under these circumstances would be chicken piccata. You know how much I love lemon and I’ll use any excuse to eat pasta!?
Frankly, I prefer the homemade version over any alternative as you can choose the wine you like for the sauce (and have a glass or two while cooking)!
Be sure to control the amount of butter you use. Less butter means a tangier sauce with a more rounded finish. Feel free to use the freshest chicken breasts and all organic/local ingredients, if that’s your jam.
I skipped the capers this time but you can add in a sprinkle with the sauce.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is chicken piccata made of?
Chicken piccata consists of a pounded chicken cutlet that’s breaded, pan fried, baked and served with pasta and a lemony, buttery white wine sauce with capers.
What is a good side dish for chicken piccata?
How do you make piccata sauce?
Bring 3 tbsp butter, 1 1/4 cup white wine, 1 cup lemon juice and the peels, 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper to a boil and allow to reduce by half. Remove from heat and stir in the remaining 3 tbsp butter.
Can you make chicken piccata in advance and reheat?
You can make chicken piccata in advance and reheat it but the breading will not be as crisp. This dish is best right out of the oven.
How to make chicken piccata
1. Mix the flour, salt and pepper together.
2. Coat the chicken with the flour.
3. Dip the chicken in the egg wash.
4. Coat with the seasoned breadcrumbs.
5. Add a few tablespoons of olive oil to a pan and warm on medium to heat. Place chicken breast on pan and cook two minutes.
6. Flip breast over and cook an additional 2 minutes or until golden brown.
7. Place the chicken cutlets on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. and Bake at 400F for about 10 minutes.Finely chop some parsley.
8.Juice the lemons and save the peel. Bring the butter, wine, lemon juice and peels, salt and pepper to a boil and allow to reduce by half. Remove from heat and stir in the remaining butter.
9. Mince parsley.
Serve the chicken with spaghetti, drizzle the sauce over and add a healthy sprinkle of the parsley.
If you’ve tried this chicken piccata recipe then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you!
- 4 split chicken breasts
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
For the Sauce
- 1 cup lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1 1/4 cup white wine
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 4 lemon shells
- Preheat oven to 400F. Pound the chicken cutlets to flatten them out for quicker and more even baking.
- Mix the flour, salt and pepper together on a plate. Mix the eggs and about two tablespoons of water in a bowl. Add the seasoned breadcrumbs to a separate plate.
- Coat the chicken with the flour.
- Dip the chicken in the egg wash.
- And finally coat with the seasoned breadcrumbs.
- Add a few tablespoons of olive oil to a pan and warm on medium to medium low heat.
- Cook on each side for about 2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Juice the lemons and save the peel.
- Bring the 3 tbsp butter, wine, lemon juice and peels, salt and pepper to a boil and allow to reduce by half. Remove from heat and stir in the remaining 3 tbsp butter.
- Place the chicken cutlets on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. and Bake at 400F for about 10 minutes.
- Cook your pasta according to the package's instructions.
- Finely chop the parsley.
- Serve the chicken with spaghetti, drizzle the sauce over and add a healthy sprinkle of the parsley.
IF YOU LOVE THIS RECIPE TRY THESE OUT!