If you’re short on time or find making rice tricky then this Instant Pot Brown Rice is for you! It comes out perfectly every single time and requires no more than 5 minutes of prep time so it couldn’t be easier!
Let’s face it, rice can be a little tricky to make especially on busy weeknights when you need dinner on the table fast. If you don’t keep an eye on your timing then rice can easily overcook and turn soggy and mushy.
The great thing about this recipe is that the Instant Pot does all the work for you and your rice is guaranteed to turn out perfectly every single time even if you get distracted!
One important thing to remember is to measure the water carefully when making rice. This is crucial to avoid soggy wet rice so make sure to follow my measurements exactly.
Top Tip: You can swap the water for veg, chicken or beef stock to add extra flavor to the rice!
How to Make Instant Pot Brown Rice
- Stir together rice, water, salt, and olive oil in the Instant Pot then cook at High Pressure.
- After cooking is complete, let pressure release then fluff rice with a fork.
- Place a clean kitchen towel over the insert, and close the lid.
- Let rice steam a little longer then fluff rice, and serve.
What to Serve with Brown Rice
You can use this rice in so many ways from tossing it with meat and veggies to make a rice salad to serve it with your favorite Chinese dishes, curries or any entree you like. Here are some delicious recipes that would be perfect served with instant pot brown rice:
How to Store Leftover Rice
If you have leftover rice or are cooking the rice for later make sure to cool it down quickly by spreading it on an even layer and then storing it in the fridge. Make sure to do this quickly (within 1 hour to avoid the risk of food poisoning).
You can store leftover rice in the fridge for no more than 1 day or you can freeze it for a later date. Top Tip: freeze rice in a freezer bag in a flat layer for easy storage then add to stir-fries, casseroles etc from frozen (no need to thaw first).
Tips and Ideas for Cooking Instant Pot Brown Rice
- This recipe scales down easily; to make 4 servings, simply cut the recipe in half.
- For a richer flavor, substitute low-sodium chicken broth for the water.
- Measure the liquid carefully; too much water can make the finished rice gummy.
- Stir in a handful of chopped soft fresh herbs, such as parsley, dill, basil, or chives at the end of cooking for extra flavor.
- Use leftover rice to stuff bell peppers or to make fried rice.
If you’ve tried this Instant Pot Brown Rice recipe then don’t forget to leave a rating and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you!
Big Batch Instant Pot Brown Rice
big batch that makes weeknight meal prep a breeze.
- 2 cups brown rice
- 2 ½ cups water
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- In the insert of your InstantPot, stir together rice, water, salt, and olive oil.
- Place top on InstantPot; twist to seal and lock. Turn Steam Release Valve to “sealing.”
- Set InstantPot to cook at High Pressure for 22 minutes.
- After cooking is complete, let pressure release naturally (approximately 12 minutes). After
- that, manually release the pressure by turning the Steam Release Valve to “venting.”
- Remove lid; fluff rice with a fork
- Place a clean kitchen towel over insert, and close lid (without locking).
- Let rice steam an additional 5 to 10 minutes.
- Fluff rice, and serve.
- -This recipe scales down easily; to make 4 servings, simply cut the recipe in half.
- -For a richer flavor, substitute low-sodium chicken broth for the water.
- -Measure the liquid carefully; too much water can make the finished rice gummy.
- -Stir in a handful of chopped soft fresh herbs, such as parsley, dill, basil, or chives at the end of cooking for extra flavor.
- -Use leftover rice to stuff bell peppers or to make fried rice.