I love chocolate and coffee so why not bring them together?! You might have noticed most of my chocolate cakes having a healthy splash of coffee; it really amps up the chocolate flavor. For this recipe I went all in on the espresso! There’s a lot in the batter and the buttercream is flavored with instant espresso and a splash or cocoa powder.
If you want to add a little something extra to the recipe you can hollow the cupcake out and fill it with chocolate ganache. I use a cupcake corer for this but a spoon or large piping tip works too. To make the chocolate ganache melt half a cup of nice chocolate with a third a cup of cream and spoon into the hollowed out cupcake. You can make a ganache with any liquid really so go ahead and add coffee, brandy, bourbon or whatever else you desire instead of the cream! If you don’t have chocolate covered espresso beans handy you can always add a drizzle of ganache on top of the buttercream for some contrast.
The perfect balance of chocolate and coffee in a moist and rich cupcake.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 ⅔ cups granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder nice quality
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- 1 ½ tbsp baking powder
- ½ cup sour cream warm
- 1 cup buttermilk warm
- 3 eggs large
- 1 1/4 cups coffee hot 300ml, strong
- 1/2 cup water
- ¾ cup veggie oil
- 1/2 pound butter unsalted, room temperature
- 1 lb confectioners sugar
- 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 tbsp espresso powder
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 tbsp heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate covered espresso beans
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chopped, melted, cooled
Preheat oven to 350F.
- Add papers to a cupcake pan.
- Sift together the dry ingredients (including the sugar) into the bowl of a stand mixer and whisk to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients into a large bowl and whisk together.
- Add the wet ingredients the dry ingredients.
- Whisk to combine then mix on level 2 for two minutes.
- Distribute batter evenly to cupcake papers. Bake for about 15-20 minutes at 350F or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow time to cool for 10 minutes to cool fully.
In a medium bowl, sift the confectioners’ sugar, cocoa and espresso powder.
In a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, whip the butter for about 5 minutes.
Beat in the confectioners sugar mixture slowly.
Add vanilla and drizzle in the cream while beating until desired consistency is reached. Transfer to a piping fitted with an 858 tip.
Give chocolate a rough chop. Melt and allow to cool.
Remove the core of the cupcake.
Drizzle chocolate ganache.
Pipe the buttercream.
Top each dollop with a chocolate covered espresso bean. Dust with cocoa powder.
1. Add the wet ingredients into a large bowl and whisk together.
2. Sift together the dry ingredients (including the sugar) into the bowl of a stand mixer and whisk to combine.
3. Add the wet ingredients the dry ingredients.
4. Distribute batter evenly to cupcake papers.
5. In a medium bowl, sift the confectioners’ sugar and cocoa.
6. Add espresso powder.
7. Remove the core of the cupcake.
8. Drizzle chocolate ganache.
9. Pipe buttercream.