If you make my mini pumpkins and have extra bundt cake and cream cheese frosting left over, you can make these DELICIOUS pumpkin cake pops!
Finish them off with a candy melt or white chocolate shell – some of which I decorated with orange swirls while others got a dusting of black sanding sugar – and have a dessert that would WOW anybody! I made about two dozen cake pops with the excess from this recipe. That was even after some snacking…
I actually love the cake pops that I rolled in black sanding sugar. The key here is to tap off the excess candy melt before you roll it. I had a block of shipping styrofoam hanging around so I just poked some holes in it and stood the cake pops up to dry using that.
Pro Tips for making these cake pops
- These are great to make when you have some left over cupcakes, or if you had to trim cake layers
- The best way I’ve found to make crumbs for cake pops is to use a cheese grater.
- After you form the balls let them set in the fridge. This way the candy meld will harden faster when dipped and there will be less mess.
- When you dip the cake pops in the orange and white candy melt hold them over the cup for a bit and then hang them upside down to dry. I set up a clothesline in my kitchen and used clamps and clothes pins to hang them. Most importantly remember to put some paper towels underneath them as they will drip!
- It also helps if your candy melt isn’t super hot and you want it to be melted but less runny.
- I hung some upside-down to dry using binder clips hanging from a string. Make sure you lay down some paper towels underneath to catch the drips!
What can you dip cake pops with?
I’ve used white chocolate and candy melts for this recipe and they are both great! White chocolate has a wonderful taste but is finicky and can seize if overheated. Candy melts, which are similar to chocolate but not cocoa butter-based, harden quickly, melt easily and are very white. They’re flavored artificially but still taste nice.
IF YOU LIKED THIS RECIPE TRY THESE OUT
If you’ve tried this pumpkin cake pop recipe then don’t forget to leave a rating and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you!
Pumpkin Cake Pops
For the Cake
- 3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp all spice
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar lightly packed
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt
- 1 can pumpkin puree15 oz
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 large eggs
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the Assembly
- 1 cup candy melt white
- orange gel food coloring
- 1/2 cup black sanding sugar optional
For the Cake
- Preheat oven to 350F. Butter and flour an eight inch cake pan.
- Cream the oils and sugar together, then add in the yogurt and mix until combined.
- Mix in eggs one at a time, making sure one egg is incorporated into the mixture before adding the next.
- In a separate bowl sift the remaining dry ingredients together.
- Mix dry ingredients into the sugar/egg mixture in three batches alternating with the pumpkin puree. Mix until just combined.
- Transfer the batter into the pan, filling 2/3 the way up.
- Bake at 350 for about 35 minutes or until the wooden skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow time to cool in pan for about 2 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack.
For the Cream Cheese Frosting
- Beat the cream cheese in a bowl until it is smooth. Add in vanilla and powdered sugar and mix until ingredients are well-incorporated and desired consistency is reached.
For the Assembly
- Crumble the cake or use a cheese grater to get uniform pieces. This is easier if you chill the cake.
- Mix the cake crumbs with the cream cheese frosting and form into balls. Insert a stick into each ball and chill until firm.
- Melt the candy melt in a cup. You can just microwave it in 45 second bursts. Reserve a few tablespoons and color orange with gel food coloring. drizzle the orange candy melt over the white.
- Dip the cake pops into the candy melt and twist as you remove. Allow to drip then hang upside down to set. To make the black sparkly ones just tap off the excess candy melt and roll in black sanding sugar.