These chocolate cupcakes are filled with delicious cherries and are topped with a vanilla buttercream. I think I died and went to Heaven…
Chocolate Cherry Cupcakes
Amazing chocolate cupcakes with a cherry surprise inside!
For the cupcakes:
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter softened
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup sour cream
For the Frosting:
- 1 lb confectioner’s sugar
- 1 stick salted butter you can add more if needed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3-4 teaspoons cream
For the Cherries:
- 2-3 cups cherries halved and pitted cup semi 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
For the Cake:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and place oven racks in the upper and lower third of the oven.
Mix the milk and sour cream in a small bowl or cup and set aside.
Sift the dry ingredients into a medium-sized bowl.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the butter until smooth and creamy. Add the sugar and continue beating until the mixture is fluffy (this will take about three to five minutes). Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
Add the vanilla extract and beat to combine.
Add the milk/sour cream mixture and flour mixtures in three additions, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Beat only until the ingredients are mixed together.
Divide the batter evenly among the cupcake papers within the tins. Bake for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the tops spring back when lightly pressed.
For the Cherries:
- Mix cherries, sugar, and cornstarch in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Simmer for about ten minutes. Core the cupcakes -- fill with buttercream & place pitted cherry inside -- then return the top. Let them cool.
For the Buttercream:
- Beat the butter until light and fluffy. Add the confectioners' sugar and cream and mix. Once finished, put into piper with large, closed star tip. Apply frosting.
For the Asembly
Core the cupcakes. I use a cupcake corer but you can cut a small circle out with a knife too. Remove the center and keep the tops for later.
Use a knife to spread some buttercream into the hollowed out cupcake. Add a cherry into the center then pipe buttercream onto top. I suggest a large open or closed star tip.
Top with a cherry and some of the reduction.