Chocolate cake + chocolate buttercream + chocolate ganache = EVERYTHING… Am I right?
The perfect cupcake for any chocolate lover!
FOR THE cupcakes
- 2 sticks unsalted unsalted butter
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the Frosting:
- 1 pound powdered sugar
- 5 sticks salted butter softened
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 3-4 tbsp cream
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
For the Ganache:
- 3 oz bittersweet chocolate chopped
- 1/2 -3/4 cup heavy cream
For the Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350F. Add cupcake papers to a pan.
- Sift together the dry ingredients (including the sugar) into the bowl of a stand mixer and whisk to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients into a large bowl and whisk together.
- Add the wet ingredients the dry ingredients.
- Whisk to combine then mix on level 2 for two minutes.
- Distribute batter evenly into papers. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow time to cool for 10 minutes then invert onto wire racks to cool fully.
For the Chocolate Buttercream:
- In a small bowl combine the semi-sweet chocolate with 2 tbs of cream then microwave for 40 secs on half power. Stir to combine then set aside.
- Whip the butter for about 5 minutes using a paddle attachment (in a stand-up mixer).
- Beat in the confectioner’s sugar slowly.
- Add the cream.
- Slowly mix in the ¼ cup of cocoa powder. Add the salt, as well.
- You may add the optional vanilla and espresso at this step.
- Mix until you have a fluffy, even consistency.
- Beat in the melted and cooled chocolate ganache. Save some for the drizzle.
For the Assembly:
- Transfer the buttercream to a piping bag.
- Pipe a swirl onto the tops of the cupcakes.
- Drizzle ganache.