This easy cream cheese frosting recipe is addictively delicious and so quick to make!! It’s as easy to make as American buttercream but has an amazing depth of flavor thanks to the cream cheese AND it’s not as sweet.
Frequently Asked Questions
What goes well with cream cheese frosting?
Should cream cheese frosting be refrigerated?
Because it’s packed with dairy, cream cheese frosting does need to be refrigerated. Just make sure to let it come close to room temperature before serving. Unlike other buttercreams it will not fully harden when chilled so you can pipe pretty soon after it’s been removed from the fridge.
Can you decorate with cream cheese frosting?
Cream cheese frosting will pipe beautifully but it’s pretty soft. I find it works well for cupcakes, and sheet cakes but if you’re frosting a layer cake I recommend reducing the cream cheese and increasing the sugar to stiffen the buttercream and give it more structure.
Can you color cream cheese frosting?
Yes, you can color cream cheese frosting! I would recommend using gel food coloring if you can, which does not have as high of a liquid content, but this frosting actually colors quite easily.
How to make Cream Cheese Frosting
- Start off by sifting the confectioners sugar into a large bowl so there are not any lumps.
- Cream the room temperature butter into a standing mixer on medium speed.
- Now add the cream cheese to the creamed butter and beat together until they’re combined. You can also incorporate the vanilla and a pinch of salt.
- Take a moment to hold off on the mixing and scrape down the bowl to make sure every little bit is incorporated.
- Add the sifted confectioners sugar in cups and mix until combined. If you’re wanting a thicker frosting, keep adding more confectioners sugar until it’s stiff.
- If you’re piping this frosting onto a cake or cupcakes; transfer it to a piping bag, snip off the tip and you’re ready to pipe. Enjoy!
IF YOU LOVE THIS RECIPE TRY THESE OUT!
If you’ve tried this cream cheese frosting then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you!
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 3 sticks butter 340g, room temperature unsalted
- 1 ½ lb confectioners sugar 550g, sifted
- 16 oz cream cheese 455g, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract 5mL
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- Cream the butter. Sift confectioners sugar into a large bowl.
- Add room temperature cream cheese to the creamed butter. Add vanilla and a pinch of salt. Beat together.
- Add the confectioners sugar in cups. Mix until combined. If you’re wanting a thicker frosting, keep adding more sifted confectioners sugar until it’s stiff.
- If you're piping it onto a cake or cupcakes, transfer to a piping bag and snip off the tip.