If you follow this blog you know I’m a fan of beautifully decorated cakes, but sometimes you just want a delicious portion of cake without all the hubbub. Mug cakes bake right in the microwave in about ninety seconds and they taste sooooo good, as long as you have the right recipe!
What is a mug cake?
Mug cakes are single serving cakes you bake in a mug! They only take about 90 seconds to cook in the microwave and they’re just plain delicious! This version is chocolate but you can make any flavor you like.
I added a sprinkle of chopped chocolate after my cake came out of the oven. It melted right away and gave it a little extra visual interest. You can top yours with a big scoop of ice cream or a mound of whipped cream. Both will provide a nice contrast to all that rich chocolate!
Want an even faster mug cake?
Mix up batches of the dry ingredients and pour into mason jars or plastic bags for later. When you’re in the mood for some cake just empty the dry ingredients into your mug, add the wet ingredients and you’re in business! You can have cake in two minutes or so!
How long do you microwave a mug cake for?
Cook time will depend on the power of your microwave. I find that about 90 seconds will get the job done but you might want to start with 80 seconds and then add 10 second bursts if the center isn’t set yet.
Steps to make a mug cake
How to make a mug cake
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour, sugar, cocoa, salt, and baking powder, then give it a whisk to combine.
- Add the oil and vanilla to the dry mixture.
- Pour in the coffee to the dry mixture. You don’t have to use coffee, but it will enhance the chocolate flavor.
- Now add the milk to the dry mixture and whisk it up until the batter is smooth.
- With a sharp knife, roughly chop the semi sweet chocolate or chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into a coffee mug and sprinkle the chocolate pieces on top. Microwave it for about 85 seconds. The cook time will depend on how powerful your microwave is.
If you’ve tried this chocolate mug cake then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you!
This fudgey, rich single serving chocolate mug cake recipe comes together in a few minutes and baked right in your microwave. It's the ultimate on demand treat for chocolate lovers!
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour +1 tbsp, 38g
- 1/4 cup sugar 50g
- 1/4 tsp baking powder 1g
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder 7g
- 1/4 cup whole milk 60mL
- 1 tbsp coffee 15mL
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil 30mL
- 1 tsp vanilla extract 5mL
- 2 tbsp semi sweet chocolate chips 30mL
In a medium bowl sift the flour, sugar, cocoa, salt, and baking powder together then whisk to combine.
Add the milk, coffee, vanilla, oil to the dry mixture then whisk until the batter is smooth.
Pour batter into a coffee mug and sprinkle top with semi sweet chocolate pieces.
Microwave for about 85 seconds. The cook time will depend on how powerful your microwave is so be mindful of that.
I love the way a bit of coffee amps up the chocolate flavor of this cake but if you're in a rush and don't want to brew any just add an extra tablespoon of milk.
IF YOU LOVE THIS RECIPE TRY THESE OUT!