Something magical happens when you crush Oreos and mix them into buttercream. The crunchy creamy result with flecks of chocolate and here and there is just a delight. Check out my Oreo cake for a larger version of this recipe with even more chocolate!
Some tips to make Oreo Cupcakes
- You can substitute whole milk yogurt for the sour cream if desired, I do it all the time and can’t really tell the difference.
- You can make these cupcakes a day ahead. Leave covered at room temp and serve when ready. If you refrigerate the cupcakes make sure to bring bake to room temp before serving. Butter-based batters are not amazing cold.
- If you like a less sweet buttercream try whipping up a batch of Swiss or Italian meringue buttercream! They’re both quite silky and pipe beautifully.
Steps to make these Oreo cupcakes
How do you make Oreo cupcakes?
- For the cupcakes; preheat the oven to 340 degrees F and add papers to a cupcake baking sheet. Sift the dry ingredients together in a large bowl and cream the butter until it’s light and fluffy.
- Beat the dry ingredients into the butter mixture until well incorporated. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl at least once. You should get a sort of damp crumbly mixture.
- Mix the wet ingredients together in a medium bowl then add the wet to the butter mixture. Mix until it’s just combined.
- Roughly chop the Oreos with a knife, make sure you end up with a cup.
- Fold them into the batter at the very end. Mix until just combined then divide the batter evenly into cupcake papers. Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until golden then remove from the oven and let them cool.
- For the buttercream; Beat the butter until it is light and fluffy and sift the confectioners sugar.
- Gradually add the confectioners sugar then the cream.
- Place the Oreos in a ziplock bag and crush them up with your rolling pin.
- Add the Oreos in once your buttercream is done and mix until just combined.
- When your buttercream is ready, place it into a piping bag fitted with an 869 tip.
- For the ganache; Roughly chop the chocolate chips, put them in a bowl and heat up the heavy cream just until it’s about to boil.
- Pour the heavy cream over the chocolate chips, cover and wait 2 minutes then whisk until smooth. Remove the core of the cupcakes and place a small amount of ganache in the center of each cupcake.
If you’ve tried these Oreo cupcakes then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you!
Moist vanilla cupcakes with crushed Oreos and a chocolate surprise inside.
For the Cupcakes:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour 240g
- 1 cup sugar 200g
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda 1g, heaping
- 1 teaspoon baking powder 4g
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter 170g, room temperature
- 3 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 5mL
- 1/2 cup sour cream 120g
- 1/2 cup whole milk 118mL
- 1 cup chopped oreos
For the Buttercream:
- 1 1/2 cup unsalted butter 342g, room temperature
- 5 cups confectioners' sugar 550g
- 1/4 cup cream 60mL
- crushed oreos 120g
For the Ganache:
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips 200g
- 1/2 cup heavy cream 118mL
For the Cupcakes:
Preheat oven to 340 degrees F. Add papers to a cupcake baking sheet.
- Sift the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Beat butter until light and fluffy
- Beat the dry ingredients into the butter until well incorporated, scrape the bowl at least once.
- Beat the wet ingredients together in a medium bowl.
Add the wet to the butter mixture and mix until just combined.
Roughly chop the Oreos. Fold in the crushed Oreos in at the very end. Mix until just combined.
- Divide the mixture evenly into cupcake papers using an ice cream scooper.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until golden.
remove core of cupcake and place a small amount of chocolate in the center of each cupcake
For the Buttercream
- Beat the butter until light and fluffy. Add the confectioners' sugar and cream and mix.
Crush the Oreos, add to the buttercream and mix until combined.
- Reserve about a cup of the buttercream for the white dollops. Which will be piped with an 869 tip.
For the Assembly
- Pipe white buttercream dollops on top with an 869 tip
- Sprinkle with crushed cookie dust.
IF YOU LOVE THIS RECIPE TRY THESE OUT!