What could be better than German chocolate cupcakes? Oh yeah… maybe filling them with a delicious bourbon chocolate ganache! Yum. Don’t they look scrumptious?
German Chocolate Surprise Cupcakes
German chocolate cupcakes with a chocolate, bourbon ganache surprise inside!
For the cupcakes:
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3 tbs butter softened
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup sour cream
For the Frosting:
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 can evaporated milk 12 ounces
- 1 1/4 cups packed light-brown sugar
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter 12 tablespoons
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 2 2/3 cups sweetened flaked coconut 7 ounces
- 1 1/2 cups pecans 6 ounces pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 12 candied pecans for toppers
For the filling:
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chopped.
- 3/4 cup cream
- 2 tbsp bourbon
For the Cake:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and place oven racks in the upper and lower third of the oven. Add cupcake papers to a cupcake pan.
Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a medium bowl. In a small bowl, combine the milk and the sour cream.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the butter until smooth and creamy. Add the sugar and continue beating until the mixture is fluffy (this will take about three to five minutes). Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Add the vanilla extract and beat to combine. Then add the melted chocolate and beat until incorporated.
Add the milk/sour cream mixture and flour mixtures in three additions, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Beat only until the ingredients are mixed together.
Divide the batter evenly among cupcake papers. Bake for about 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool for about 15 minutes. Cool the cupcakes completely before frosting.
Core the cupcakes with a corer.
For the Frosting:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Place the pecans on a baking sheet and bake for about 8-10 minutes. Thereafter, chop until fairly fine.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar, milk, egg yolks, butter, and salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, and when the mixture begins to boil and thicken, remove from heat (about 5 minutes). Stir in the chopped pecans, coconut, and vanilla extract. Let cool until spreadable (about 30-60 minutes).
For the Ganache:
- Heat the cream in a small sauce pan until it begins to bubble. Pour over the chocolate chips and allow to sit for a minute or so. Whisk together until there are no lumps. Pour in the bourbon. Mix.
For the Assembly:
Pour ganache into cored cupcake holes.
Cover the tops with coconut frosting mix.
Drizzle with more ganache.
Add candied pecans to the top of each cupcake.