What could be better than German chocolate cupcakes? Oh yeah… maybe filling them with a delicious bourbon chocolate ganache! Yum. Don’t they look scrumptious?
Tasty treats for all!
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3 tbs butter softened
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 can 12 ounces evaporated milk
- 1 1/4 cups packed light-brown sugar
- 1 1/2 sticks 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces and brought to room temperature
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 2/3 cups 7 ounces sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 1/2 cups 6 ounces pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 12 candied pecans for toppers
- For the filling:
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chopped.
- 3/4 cup cream
- 1/3 cup bourbon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and place oven racks in the upper and lower third of the oven. Lightly butter and flour, and line the bottoms of three – 8 x 2 inch deep round baking pans with parchment paper.
Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a medium bowl. In a small bowl, combine the milk and the sour cream.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the butter until smooth and creamy. Add the sugar and continue beating until the mixture is fluffy (this will take about three to five minutes). Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Add the vanilla extract and beat to combine. Then add the melted chocolate and beat until incorporated.
Add the milk/sour cream mixture and flour mixtures in three additions, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Beat only until the ingredients are mixed together.
- Divide the batter evenly among the three prepared pans and smooth the tops. Bake for about 30 – 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the tops spring back when lightly pressed. Rotate the pans about halfway through baking to ensure even baking. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool for about 15 minutes. Butter or lightly spray with a non stick vegetable spray a wire rack before inverting the cakes onto the rack to prevent the cakes from sticking. Cool the cakes completely before frosting.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Place the pecans on a baking sheet and bake for about 8-10 minutes. Thereafter, chop until fairly fine.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar, milk, egg yolks, butter, and salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, and when the mixture begins to boil and thicken, remove from heat (about 5 minutes). Stir in the chopped pecans, coconut, and vanilla extract. Let cool until spreadable (about 30-60 minutes).
- The finished cupcakes can be stored at room temperature for a 2-3 days or it can be refrigerated.
- Heat the cream in a small sauce pan until it begins to bubble. Pour over the chocolate chips and allow to sit for a minute or so. Whisk together until there are no lumps. Pour in the bourbon. Mix.