Apple pie filling should NEVER come from a can! It’s so easy to make there’s just no excuse when the home made stuff tastes that much better. Use your favorite apples and choose the firmness you want to end up with from super-soft to almost crunchy.
This filling is perfect for dumplings, tarts, on ice cream and even as a filling in between cake layers!
Steps To Make Apple Pie Filling
- Peel and cut the apples’ flesh away from the core. Dice into piece an inch or less in size.
- Transfer diced apples into a large bowl and pour fresh squeezed lemon juice over them.
What are the best apples for apple pie Filling?
Apples with a nice balance of acid and sweetness are best for baking pies. Honey crisps, granny smith, braeburn, golden delicious, and cortlans apples are all great choices. Use your favorite and enjoy! Just never use red delicious, you know they tend to be mealy and flavorless…
- Toss the apples with sugar, nutmeg, and cinnamon.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the apples, and cook, stirring, until the sugar dissolves and the mixture begins to simmer, about 2 minutes. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook until the apples soften and release most of their juices, about 7 minutes. Add cornstarch and continue cooking until mixture has thickened. Once mixture has thickened and apples are desired consistency transfer to a storage jar and seal.
How long will Apple Pie Filling Last for?
When stored properly in a sealed container apple pie filling will last up to two weeks in the fridge. If you’er making this very far in advance then transfer to a freezer bag and freeze for up to two months. Just defrost before use.
Pro Tips for making Apple Pie Filling
- Add more water or lemon juice during cooking if you feel like the mixture is becoming a bit too dry.
- Give your apples a taste test toward the end of cooking them You’ll want them to be softened but not mushy. Some of this is personal taste but in general it’s best to have some mouth feel left.
- I added cinnamon and nutmeg to this recipe but you can use so many more spices! Try 1/4 tsp cardamom and allspice for added depth of flavor.
- This filling is amazing with all sorts of easy recipes you can make using puff pastry or pre-made pie dough. Check out my Perfect Pie Crust Recipe for an easy dough you can use for apple dumplings, tarts, etc!
Love Apples? Try These recipes out!
If you’ve tried this apple pie filling recipe then don’t forget to leave a rating and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you!
Apple Pie Filling
You'll love this perfectly sweet, tender cinnamon apple filling busting with flavor. It comes together quickly and is so easy to make!
For the Filling:
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 lbs apples Honey crisp, Cortland, or Mitsu
- 2/3 cup sugar plus more for sprinkling on the pie
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 tbsp corn starch
For the Filling
- Peel, core and slice your apples, then toss with the lemon juice.
Add the sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg then toss to combine evenly.
In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the apples, and cook, stirring, until the sugar dissolves and the mixture begins to simmer, about 2 minutes. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook until the apples soften and release most of their juices, about 7 minutes.
Add cornstarch and continue cooking until mixture has thickened. Once mixture has thickened and apples are desired consistency transfer to a storage jar and seal.
- You can make the pie dough and filling a day or two in advance. Just assemble and bake the day of for a fresh out of the oven pie in a jiffy.
- This recipe makes enough filling and dough for an 8" dish. If you're using a deep dish or slightly larger size you need to DOUBLE the filling recipe.