This is — by far — the easiest tart I’ve ever made. It’s also irresistible! How could you say no to a cookie-like-crust, rich dark chocolate filling and some gold for bling (optional of course)? I can’t!
Click here for a step-by-step on how to make the pate surcee. Roll the chilled dough out in-between two layers of plastic. Push into the tart shell.
Toppings are optional. You might prefer a dollop of whipped cream.
And if you really want to go crazy then add a touch of edible gold leaf.
Steps to make these chocolate tarts
How do you make chocolate tarts?
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees and roll out your pastry dough and layout over your tart tin. Trim the edges and mold it to the tin with your fingers.
- Place some parchment paper into the shell and cut the edges for a better fit.
- Put beans or weights in the shell and bake them for 10 minutes. Remove them from the oven then take out the beans and paper. Pierce the bottom of the tarts with a fork to allow steam to escape. Now bake them for another 15 minutes at 375F.
- Add the chopped chocolate, espresso powder and butter to a bowl.
- Bring the milk, sugar and salt to a simmer then immediately pour it onto the chocolate and let it sit for 2 minutes.
- Stir the mixture until everything is well combined and smooth.
- When you’re done mixing, the filling should be glossy and shouldn’t have any lumps.
- Pour the warm mixture into the tart shells and smooth it out with a spatula if you need to.
- Chill the tarts in the refrigerator for at least one hour. When they’re ready, you can get creative and pipe some of the topping onto the tart.
If you’ve tried these chocolate tarts then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you!
For the Crust:
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1 cup 2 sticks chilled unsalted butter cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
For the Filling:
- 8 oz bittersweet chocolate finely chopped
- 4 oz semisweet chocolate finely chopped
- 4 tbs unsalted butter 1/2 stick, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 tbs granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp fine salt
- 2 tbs espresso powder
For the Topping:
- 1 16-ounce package powdered sugar
- 1/6 cup milk
- 1/6 cup bourbon
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- Place parchment paper into the shell, cut the edges to fit better.
- Place beans or weights in the shell and place in the oven preheated to 425F. Bake for 10 minutes. remove from oven, the out beans, and paper. pierce bottom with a fork several times to allow steam to escape and bake for about 15 minutes more at 375F.
- Add the chopped chocolate, espresso powder, and butter to a bowl. Bring the milk sugar and salt to a simmer.
- Immediately pour the milk mixture onto the chocolate. Leave for 2 minutes.
- Stir until well combined.
- The filling should be glossy with no lumps.
- Pour the warm mixture into the shells and smooth if needed.
- Chill in refrigerator for at least one hour.
IF YOU LOVE THIS RECIPE TRY THESE OUT!