It’s almost the most delicious time of year, again! These yummy cookies are made to be shared, so don’t eat them all… I learned that the hard way, Ha!
A yummy, romantic treat.
- 1 1/2 cups softened butter
- 2 cups white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 egg whites
- 1 lb confectioner's sugar
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 2-4 tsp water
- Food coloring
- Beat the butter and sugar until it is light and fluffy, then add the eggs one at a time.
- Stir the flour in, making sure to add in several batches. Once combined cover with plastic and chill in the refrigerator for at least two hours.
Roll out the cold dough in small batches, It warms up quickly! You can roll out between two sheets of plastic wrap if you're worried about the dough getting too sticky to release.
I did not have any heart-shaped cookie cutters so I just cut one out and traced around it with a pin. It took a bit longer than using a cookie cutter but I saved a trip to the store!
- Lay on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Make at 375F for 5 minutes, rotate the tray and bake additional 3-6 minutes depending on the size, thickness and desired crisp.
- Allow time to cool on a rack while you whip up some royal icing.
- Sift the powdered sugar into a bowl.
- Beat the egg whites and add the cream of tartar once they become frothy.
- Add the sugar in 3-4 batches and mix at low speed.
- Once combined, add the water until desired consistency is reached.
- Stir in the food coloring.
These might look a little home-made but it’s the thought that matters, right? Also the taste, that matters too. 🙂