Brown sugar is really just granulated sugar mixed with molasses. You can make your own at home in just a few minutes.
What you’ll need for this recipe
Molasses: You should definitely keep a jar of molasses in your pantry but if you don’t have it on hand head down to the frequently asked questions for some alternatives.
How to make brown sugar
Combine the sugar and molasses in a bowl, plastic bag, or food processor. Add one tablespoon of molasses per cup of sugar for light brown sugar and 2-3 tablespoons for dark brown sugar.
Mix the molasses into the sugar using a fork. If you’re using a bag then just mush the sugar and molasses together until it’s uniformly distributed and if you’re using your food processor then just pulse.
Pro Tips for this Recipe
- If you don’t have molasses you can use maple syrup, golden syrup, or agave syrup. All of these will ad a similar texture/amount of moisture but they will have different tastes.
- Store the brown sugar in an airtight container.
- Don’t be afraid to use your hands to mix the molasses in, it’s the most efficient way if you’re not using a food processor.
Frequently Asked Questions
How should you store it?
Store your homemade brown sugar in an airtight container. This can be a sealable plastic bag or a glass or plastic storage container with a rubber gasket. You may want to buy a brown sugar saver, which is a ceramic piece you soak and store with your brown sugar to keep it soft.
What’s the difference between light and dark brown sugar?
The only difference between the two is the amount of molasses added. Light brown sugar has about 3.5% molasses while dark brown sugar has almost double that.
What are Alternatives to Molasses?
If you don’t have molasses you can try subbing in maple syrup, agave syrup, or dark corn syrup. These will all give you a similar texture and moisture content but the flavors will all be a bit different.
If you’ve tried this homemade Brown Sugar recipe then don’t forget to leave a rating and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you!
How to Make Brown Sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar 200g
- 1-2 Tbsp molasses 15-30mL
- Combine the sugar and molasses in a bowl and use a fork to mix. You can also mix them in a food processor or in a plastic bag. Add more molasses as needed to obtain the desired color and flavor. 1 tablespoon of molasses will give you a light brown sugar while 2-3 will make a dark brown.