Orange is one of my favorite holiday flavors, and because there are so many decadent treats around this time of year I wanted to share a lighter recipe that with still satisfy your sweet tooth but not fill you with regrets!
I used an extra virgin Spanish olive oil for this cake and it gave a wonderfully moist crumb with all the health benefits of olive oil! Toasted pecans and dried cranberries rounded out the flavors in this cake very nicely but you can TOTALLY use fresh cranberries for this cake. I might just cut them in half and dredge in flour before adding to the batter.
Steps to Make a Cranberry Orange Bundt Cake
- For the cake; Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Toast the pecans and crush them up. Measure out 1 cup or 1 1/2 cups depending on preference and coat with 1 tbsp flour then set them aside. Repeat the same step with the dried cranberries.
- Now go ahead and sift the flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Give it a whisk to make sure everything is well incorporated and set it aside.
- In a standing mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, add in 1 1/2 cups of sugar and the eggs. Zest an orange (and some lemon is optional). Mix on high for about 8 minutes or until thickened.
- Over a medium sized bowl, juice the orange and add the olive oil to the freshly squeezed juice, then give it a mix.
- Going back to your standing mixer, add the sour cream to your egg and sugar mixture and mix to combine. While mixer is running on low, slowly pour in olive oil mixture. Now add the flour mixture. Make sure each batch you add if fully combined before adding the next.
- Turn off the mixer and remove the whisk attachment. To have a beautiful edge, reserve some batter to pour it into the pan first. Now add the toasted pecans and dried cranberries.
- Spray or butter and flour your pan then pour the reserved batter into the pan first. Spread the batter around into the crevasse of the pan to make sure it is well coated. Then go ahead and fill up the pan about 2/3 of the way. Bake for about 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- For the glaze; Add the confectioners sugar and about 2 tbsp fresh orange juice to a bowl. Whisk it up and add some juice from the lemon. You may have to add some more confectioners sugar or orange juice until you reach a desired consistency.
- For the assembly; Let the bundt cool then remove it from the pan. Give your glaze a quick mix then pour it on the top of your bundt cake.
If you’ve tried this bundt cake then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you!
Orange Cranberry Bundt Cake
A delicious and healthy cake full of orange, cranberries and toasted pecans.
For the Cake
- 3 cups plus 2 tbsp; all purpose flour 360g and 16g for coating
- 1 tbsp baking powder 12g
- 1/2 tsp salt 2-3g
- 1 1/2 cups sugar 300g
- 1 cup Spanish extra virgin olive oil 236mL
- 1/2 cup sour cream 240g
- 5 eggs
- 1 tsp orange blossom water 5mL
- 1 cup pecans crushed (1 tbsp flour to coat)
- 1 cup dried cranberries 1 tbsp flour to coat
- 1 orange zested and juiced 3/4 cup fresh orange juice, 177mL
- zest of a lemon
For the Glaze
- 1 cup confectioners sugar 110g
- 2-3 tbsp fresh orange juice 30-45mL
- 1/2 lemon juiced, 1-2 tbsp or 15-30mL
For the Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Toast pecans and crush them up. Measure out 1 cup or 1 1/2 cups depending on preference. Coat with 1 tbsp flour. Set aside.
- Put dried cranberries in a bowl. Coat with flour. Set aside.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt. Give it a whisk and set aside.
- In a standing mixer fitted with a whisk attachment add in 1 1/2 cups sugar and eggs.
- zest an orange. zest of some lemon (optional)
- Mix on high for about 8 minutes or until thickened.
- In a large bowl add the fresh orange juice, olive oil
- Add sour cream to your stand mixer and mix to incorporated.
While mixer is running on low, slowly pour in olive oil mixture.
Now add the flour mixture. Mix until combined. Turn off mixer and remove whisk attachment.
To have a beautiful edge, reserve some batter before adding nuts to pour it into the pan first.
Add orange blossom water, toasted pecans and dried cranberries.
Spray or butter and flour your pan. Pour reserved batter in pan first. Spread the batter around into the crevasse of the pan to make sure it is well coated.
Now fold batter with nuts once more and pour into your pan. Fill up about 2/3 of the way to leave room for rising.
Bake for about 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool then remove from pan.
For the Glaze
- Add confectioners sugar and about 2 tbsp fresh orange juice to a large bowl. Whisk it up.
- Add some juice from the lemon.
- Add some more confectioners sugar or orange juice until desired consistency is reached.
For the Assembly
- Pour orange glaze on top of the bundt cake and enjoy!
You can substitute whole milk yogurt for the sour cream if desired, I do it all the time and can’t really tell the difference.
For this cake, you can also substitute more olive oil for the sour cream if desired.
IF YOU LOVE THIS RECIPE TRY THESE OUT!