Sometimes you need an emergency cake… fast! So you have to skip the “baking from scratch” routine and settle for second best. I went with Duncan Hines. Let’s talk about how to gussy up that boxed cake up and impress your guests. Let me know how well it works for you!
Strawberry Layer Cake
Jazzing up a box cake with some fresh strawberries
For the Cake:
- 1 box Duncan Hines Classic White Cake Mix
- 1 pckg cream cheese around 8 oz
- 3 egg whites
- 2 tbs Vanilla
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pckg Strawberries
For the Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter and flour sides and bottom of each cake pan.
- Blend cake mix, water, oil and egg whites in a large bowl at low speed until moistened (about 30 seconds).
- Beat at medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Pour batter in pans and bake immediately.
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes.
- Cool in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes. Cool completely before frosting.
- In a bowl whip the 1-1/2 cups whipping cream until stiff peaks form.
- In another large bowl beat together the cream cheese with sugar, salt and vanilla until smooth.
- Using a spatula fold in the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture.
- Use a spatula to spread the frosting. Adding sliced strawberries to the middle layer
- I went for a more geometric display of strawberries on top but a pile would taste just as good