There are only a few things as easy to make — but still as impressive — as this bundt cake. It is super-quick and very forgiving. This delicious recipe makes for a yummy treat you can bring to a friend’s house. I finished mine with a light dusting of powdered sugar. I like to have a slice with my coffee in the morning and with lunch and after dinner…
Bundt cakes also give you an opportunity to show off those handsome molds that too often collect dust on the top shelf of your cupboard. Not today! I used a Nordic wear Heritage Bundt Pan from Williams-Sonoma as the nonstick coating made the releasing the cake SO EASY!
I split a vanilla bean and infused some bourbon with the seeds. Using a nice vanilla extract will give the same effect (with less time and money). Let me know what you decide!
A delicious treat for all!
- 1 tsp bourbon
- 1 vanilla bean split lengthwise
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour sifted into measuring cup
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup plus 6 tablespoons unsalted butter 1 3/4 sticks, room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed golden brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Position rack in center of the oven and preheat to 325°F. Butter and flour standard Bundt pan. Pour bourbon into a small bowl. Scrape seeds from vanilla bean into bourbon; stir to blend well (reserve scraped vanilla bean for another use like infusing sugar).
Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl to blend. Using an electric mixer, beat butter and both sugars in large bowl until light and fluffy. Add eggs and egg yolk 1 at a time, beating until well blended after each addition. Beat in bourbon-vanilla mixture. Add flour mixture in 2 additions alternately with buttermilk in 1 addition, beating just until blended after each addition. Transfer batter to prepared pan; smooth top evenly (batter will come only halfway up sides of pan).
- Bake cake until tester inserted near center comes out clean, about 50 minutes. Cool in pan on rack 15 minutes. Invert cake onto rack and cool completely.
Once the cake is completely cool you may dust with powdered sugar as I have or drizzle with a glaze.
Special Equipment • Standard Bundt pan (10-inch-diameter Bundt pan with 33/4-inch-high sides)
Adapted from Bon Appetite