In case you didn’t know, I’m half Mexican! Anywho… I’ll never forget when my cousin Juanita visited us from Mexico. For lunch, we decided to take her to one of those fresh ingredients, “authentic” restaurants. We got some tacos and burritos — to which — she exclaimed, “I love American food!” We tried to convince her otherwise, with no such luck. I learned that food doesn’t have to be authentic to be delicious!
Such is the case with these Mexican pizzas! They are easy and fun to make with little ones if you have any hanging around and hungry. Let me know how you like them! Also — as a side note — poaching chicken breasts gives you a really moist shredded meat and you can use the liquid as a stock for soups or rice. Yum!
Do Mexican pizzas have meat?
Mexican pizzas typically have shredded chicken or seasoned taco meat. You can make a completely delicious vegetarian version by adding in some vegetable fajitas.
Steps to Make Mexican Pizza
1. Crisp the tortillas in a pan with butter. You don’t have to cook the tortillas in butter. But it doesn’t hurt!
2. Spread the refried beans on the first layer.
3. Add the shredded chicken.
4. Spoon salsa onto the chicken.
5. Top the second layer with more sauce and cheese.
6. Add jalapeño slices and olives and they’re ready to go in the oven! You can play around with the ingredients just like you would personalize a regular pizza. You can also make these a bit ahead of time and pop them into the oven when the kids are hungry!
If you’ve tried this Mexican pizza then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you!
Layers of crispy tortillas with refried beans, shredded chicken, salsa, jalapeños and all your favorite toppings
- 2 chicken breasts large
- 12 fresh corn tortillas
- 16 oz refried black beans
- 7 oz El Pato Mexican style hot tomato sauce
- 1 cup diced tomato
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 green onions sliced diagonally
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives. black olives.
- 1 jalapeño thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar shredded
- 1/2 cup Monterey jack cheese shredded
For the Chicken:
- Put two chicken breasts in a medium pot and cover with water. Add 1/2 tsp kosher salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper. Put over medium-high heat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Remove from liquid and allow to rest at least 10 minutes.
- Shred chicken with your fingers. Cover and set aside.
- For the Tortilla:
- Butter both sides of the tortilla. Cook in a small pan on each side for a few minutes over medium heat. Place on a paper towel. Repeat.
For the Assembly:
- Spread the refried black beans on top of the tortilla.
- Cover with shredded chicken.
- Place another tortilla on top.
- Spread spicy tomato sauce over the top with the back of a spoon.
- Cover with shredded cheese, sliced jalapeños, diced tomato, diced onion and olives.
- Place on parchment-lined, baking sheet. Bake at 375 F for around 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes. Garnish with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of green onions and cilantro.
IF YOU LOVE THIS RECIPE TRY THESE OUT!