A touch of bourbon and brown sugar never hurt anyone, especially when added to this tasty peach pie! All the amazing summer produce has me in a BAKING FRENZY (anyone else??)
Real talk… I tried making a chevron pattern and then halfway through realized I have no idea how to do one! I ended up sticking with my trusty lattice top. Wait did I mention that I was making this pie on Facebook live when I totally failed? It was a bit embarrassing but it all worked out in the end!
Important note! You HAVE to use really nice sweet peaches in this pie. It you get a bum batch of cardboard peached from the supermarket then your pie just won’t be great no matter how much sugar you add to compensate.
Fresh summer peaches with a touch of bourbon make for a perfect pie.
- 1 1/4 cups pastry flour plus more for rolling
- 2 tbs plus 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 8 tbs unsalted butter 1 stick chilled
- 2-3 tbs ice water
- 1 egg for the egg wash
- 4 lbs peaches
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- 3 tsp unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp corn starch
To Make the Crust:
- At least 30 minutes in advance, make the pastry crust.
- Mix the 1 1/4 cups pastry flour, the sugar, and salt in a bowl.
- Cut the butter into small pieces (or grate it) and use a pastry cutter or fork to work it into the flour mixture until it's almost fully incorporated.
- Add 2 tbs of the ice water (you can add more later if need be) and work the dough together for just a few moments more until it is smooth and cohesive.
- Add another 1/2 to 1 tbs ice water if it's too dry or crumbly.
- Gently flatten each into two 1/2-inch-thick disks, cover in plastic wrap and place in the fridge.
- In a small bowl, lightly beat the egg.
- Set it aside in the fridge until ready to use.
For the Filling:
- Boil the peaches for one minute to loosen the skins.
- Allow time to cool. Cut into quarters. Remove pit and skin.
- Place in a large bowl and toss with sugar, cornstarch, bourbon, lemon juice, spices and vanilla.
- Break room temperature butter into teaspoon sized dollops and add to bowl.
- Mix well to distribute ingredients.
For the Assembly
Roll out 1 disk of pie dough to about 2 inches larger in diameter than your pie pan. Press dough into pie pan and brush with egg wash.
Place fruit inside pie crust and trim edge of pie crust.
Roll the other disk out to about 1/4 inch thickness. Use a ruler to cut 1 inch strips. Arrange in a lattice pattern over the fruit filling. Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar. I recommend tenting your piecrust to prevent your edges from burning. (Tenting is covering the edge of your pie in tin foil)
- Bake for about 45 minutes at about 400 degrees.
I might recommend making this pie without a pastry bottom for all those people that only like the flakiest of pastry dough crusts. It will be difficult to keep that base crisp although I welcome your suggestions!